Monday, October 4, 2010

Rise, Rise, Roar: FILM REVIEW

This was a thoroughly enjoyable behind-the-scenes documentary for me. I was lucky enough to have been at the Milwaukee concert which David Byrne gave at the Pabst Theater in Milwaukee a couple of years ago and this film was nearly as enjoyable as the real thing.

It did help me to appreciate that experience even more thoroughly with the help of thorough explanations and backstory laid out by Byrne and his choreographer. It was enlightening to know how last minute the decision to tour was. I appreciated the way the non-traditional dance accompaniment was formed and performed on stage. That answered some creative questions I had during the concert.

I had admired the asymmetrical trio of dancers and their use of props and unique dance moves. I found myself marveling at the compatibility of their movements to the songs. Hearing Byrne describe the creative process of their creation in this film made so much sense. It was genius.

I also loved the concept which was used to select the three dancers, and how they were put in a space and told to create a unique repetitive movement and to perform in the group with the other dancers. When the dancers would come upon another dancer doing a movement which was more “strong” than their own they were instructed to switch to that movement. This went on until the whole room of dancers was doing the same movement. That was powerful.

The film is really a lot like a concert with some backstage glimpses spaced throughout. Like Rattle & Hum, this film is a concert and a documentary. It’s something which resonated for me as one who attended one of the concerts which were highlighted onscreen, but I am sure that anyone who loves music or documentaries would find something to love here.

David Byrne has again proven his relevance and longevity, this time with a glimpse into how he remains so.


http://www.rideriseroar.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment