Monday, October 4, 2010

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives: FILM REVIEW (sort of)

I would have to agree with the Daily Telegraph’s assessment, “It’s barely a film; more a floating world.” Agreed, but I don’t mean that in a complementary way.

I was one of many who left the theater bewildered by this floating world. Maybe it speaks to my Thai cultural illiteracy, but so little of the film moved beyond the enigmatic that I didn’t find myself able to maintain my interest.

That fact, combined with a lack of sleep and 20 previous screenings in seven days meant that I fell asleep twice during the screening. Oh, I hope I didn’t snore.

I had hoped to be mesmerized and educated by this film which was a fave of Sundance. I had hoped to gain cultural insight to pair with my love of Thai food. I’d hoped for so much more from this film that I was ultimately likely to be underwhelmed by it.

But even that could not explain how disappointed I was when this was over. I’ll have to get a synopsis and maybe a director’s commentary and see it so that I can learn to appreciate it. Thailand is one country which I very much want to visit, and a culture I would love to understand. This wasn’t an ideal primer for either of those pursuits.

I was lost as to what the character was experiencing and who the people were in the film. I couldn’t follow the flashbacks and didn’t know what the significance of monkey spirits are to appreciate them. They were rather odd looking, like taller Jawas without the heavy linen cloaks.

But some art needs to be appreciated over time and with the assistance of educators. I could learn to appreciate this film with the right tutor. Anyone got the time to help me out? Beuller? Beuller?



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588895/

No comments:

Post a Comment