Friday, September 24, 2010

3 Idiots: FILM REVIEW


Before I went in to see this film I joked with some friends that I have always been looking for the other two idiots in every room. Well, I surely didn't find any in this theater. We came out like the geniuses tonight.

I'm floored. This film is best described by me as the most enjoyable film which I have ever seen. It was so thoroughly enjoyable, packed with humor, music, pageantry, superb acting, gorgeous scenery and costuming, and that was just the wrapping.

Within all that goodness was a film with a strong heartbeat. It spoke wisdom about life which transcends the Indian culture, even though it does poke fun at cultural conventions in that context. But thie film was transcendant both onscreen and off. It's message was universal.

I can see why this film is getting such rave reviews in the west. It's got a strong flavor of independence and free-thinking which we so often take for granted. But put the challenge of breaking with convention in this way within the confines of a strong, foreign culture like this, with all the best that Bollywood has to offer, and you have a film which felt more like an event than a film.

I wish this movie had a body so I could hug it.


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187043/

No comments:

Post a Comment