Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Revenant: FILM REVIEW

It was a midnight showing of this film which leads me to type this at 3am, so it's going to be a brief review. I'm not sure I was fully engaged in this film, the fourth of my day...


That said, I can say that it was a bloody, humorous, disturbing, reworking of a vampire mythology, in a new context. It's a dead buddy comedy in some ways, with memorable exchanges, and a horror spoof in others. Still, the storyline is fresher than the corpse who rises from the dead to become a "revenant" leader of a two-man vigilante team.


I found the ending a bit disjointed from the rest of the film. I wasn't quite sure what I was to think about it. Still, I was operating on limited brainpower.


I'd have liked to see the film end with a tragic second-death for the main character. Instead, the ending led me to think of sci-fi films or the recent incarnation of Dr. Who. I did also glean a reference to Aliens in this film when a head remains alive and able to communicate. 


There is more gore and dark humor in this than most films you'll see. It's also bright and sharp and quick-witted. I was surprised at what the film was, versus what I expected it to be. I thought it would be more like "Dawn" and less like "Shaun of the Dead". But I was delightfully wrong. 


http://www.therevenantmovie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment