Sunday, September 26, 2010

It's Kind Of A Funny Story: FILM REVIEW

I loved this film. I loved the characters and Zack Galifianakis in particular in this film about teen identity and mental illness.


It made me think of a more mature remake of a Michael Cera film. It was certainly less silly and reliant on the lead to be quirky and self-depreciating than those films are, but it still had some of the same elements, done with a bit of a lighter touch.


I appreciated the use of animation within the film, and the scene where Keir Gilchrist sang in front of the residents in a hilarious fantasy sequence.


There were surely characters in the film which were stereotypical and somewhat strained at times, but less so than other teen angst films--which I categorize this as.


What makes me laugh now is that Jim Gaffigan actually was the "straight man" in this film, as unfunny as there could be. That's a bit odd, considering his transcendant humor based upon absurdity and self-depreciation. But, it was a tangible measure of the restraint this film displayed in some ways. Still, I think it was an odd choice, since I kept hoping he'd sing "Hot Pockets!"


Galifianakis and Gilchrist's relationship in the film is worth seeing it for. It's far more significan than the teen love relationship story which develops as a side story in the film. That was carefully drawn as well, and I was thankful that it wasn't the central point of the film. Teen love shouldn't be the balm for teen depression.


The therapist character was believable until she fumbled the Reinhold Niebuhr quote during therapy. First, Neibuhr is a faith figure, and having worked in juvenile residential treatment for several years, I can say that even the serenity prayer is left to religious institutions and groups like AA and N.A. which leave room for a higher power. Anyway, I may be the only one who thought that bit undermined her character.


Regardless, the film was one I would recommend. It's heart-warming and wrenching in subtle ways, and there are laughs to be found throughout. I felt so pleased when it was over that I decided that I needn't see another film that night. I went home early, pleased with life.


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0804497/

No comments:

Post a Comment